Regardless of who you pay for your gas or electricity it is other companies who are actually responsible for making sure the gas and electricity gets to our home. If you get cut off you can contact those companies using the links below.


Water and sewage services for the Pocklington area are provided by Yorkshire Water.

You can report a problem with your domestic water supply or sewage issues here: https://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water/report-a-problem/

General Customer service number: 0345 124 2424


Regardless of your gas supplier it is the National Grid who provide and maintain the gas supply to the Pocklington area.

To report a mains gas leak or if you hit a gas pipe or smell gas in the home call 0800 111 999.


Regardless of your electricity supplier it is Northern Power provide and maintain the electricity supply to the Pocklington area.

To report a power cut call 105

You can report an issue here: https://www.northernpowergrid.com/power-cuts/report-a-power-cut

Check their live map here: https://www.northernpowergrid.com/power-cuts